CBD for Bruxism
In recent years, cannabidiol has caught the attention of the public and the interest of many medical researchers and health care providers. More commonly referred to as CBD, this component of the marijuana plant is often touted by people in the alternative health field as an effective treatment for an amazing array of illnesses and afflictions including anxiety and sleep. While some claims are currently speculative or supported only by anecdotal evidence, others have garnered some serious scientific backing. Could CBD for bruxism be a simple over-the-counter treatment option? Answering that question requires knowing something about not only bruxism but also CBD products and the potential benefits and drawbacks of CBD for bruxism.
CBD FOR BRUXISM AND TMJ
CBD has become a relatively common treatment for anxiety and sleep disorders. Although there is limited research of CBD for bruxism, there are anecdotal success stories and recent studies which reveal a correlation between CBD use and reduction of bruxism/TMJ symptoms. People who have found relief generally report using CBD daily reduced both their teeth grinding and the painful side effects that resulted from the behavior. Recent studies on CBD have revealed its effectiveness as a treatment option for the symptoms of bruxism and TMJ.
Relevant studies and reviews of CBD include the following:
- There have been multiple studies on the use of CBD for chronic pain. The National Academy of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine finds that there is conclusive evidence to support CBD’s advantages in treating chronic pain in adults.
- A study conducted in 2019 tested the effectiveness of CBD applied to jaw muscles of patients with TMJ. Researchers concluded that “The application of CBD formulation over masseter muscle reduced the activity of masseter muscles and improved the condition of masticatory muscles in patients with myofascial pain”. In other words, applying CBD to the jaw muscles effectively reduced jaw muscle pain and decreased jaw movement. outlines many studies and reviews of CBD. One such study found, “CBD had anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties that blocked osteoarthritis pain in rodents”. These antiinflammatory properties are the reason that CBD works as a treatment for bruxism and TMJ. This is beneficial for the gums and jaw muscle inflammation that commonly accompanies teeth grinding and jaw clenching.
HOW DOES CBD TREAT BRUXISM?
How might CBD benefit those suffering from bruxism? In theory, there are several potential ways in which cannabidiol improves bruxism pain:
- Since CBD is known to aid in the management of anxiety, it may aid those whose grinding and clenching motions are triggered by stress by helping them manage their anxiety and tension. Addressing the root cause of teeth grinding is the best way to improve the condition.
- CBD’s capacity for reducing inflammation, halting spasms and relaxing tense muscles could also help ease the strain on the temporomandibular joint and the jaw muscles, effectively treating both bruxism and TMJ disorders that often accompany it.
- CBD is thought to aid those battling chronic pain by calming pain receptors, so it could combat the discomfort and sensitivity associated with bruxism.
- Good sleep is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, and bruxism is known to interfere with sleep. Multiple studies indicate that CBD helps people sleep better. Sleep Foundation states, “preliminary research suggests CBD can help with a number of sleep disorders” by reducing anxiety and cortisol levels.
While there have been studies which have found CBD to be successful in treating pain, it is a supplement, not a medication. As such, it is not yet FDA approved. As such, you rely on the manufacturers’ reports of their CBD product’s safety, purity, and strength.
TYPES OF CBD FOR BRUXISM / TMJ TREATMENT
CBD products can be applied in many ways for various forms of treatment. So, which works best for bruxism or TMJ? This is mainly a matter of personal preference.
CBD can be used and applied in various ways. Some people have found success in applying CBD cream directly to the pain point. For those suffering from TMJ, CBD cream can be directly applied to a sore jaw and/or a sore neck and back.
CBD Oils are one of the most common forms of cannabidiol. You can place a few drops under the tongue or add some to your food and drink. As CBD becomes more common, other forms of this supplement become available. “CBD may also be ingested via CBD gelcaps, soft gels, pills, edibles, [tinctures] and gummies. The advantage of these formats is that users may take consistent doses or monitor how much CBD they have taken” (Clark 2021). It is even possible to vape CBD oils now as well, though vaping has adverse side effects on the lungs.
TIME-TESTED TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR BRUXISM
While some believe CBD holds promise as a treatment for bruxism, it is far from the only option available. There are several time-tested treatment options that can be effective in combating teeth grinding and clenching:
- Mouth guards and splints are a simple, affordable, and effective way to stop sleep bruxism in its tracks. Also called occlusal guards or bite guards, they protect the teeth from the wear and tear of repetitive grinding and hold the jaw in a healthy position when worn overnight. For those concerned about comfort, a custom night guard crafted from an impression of the patient’s teeth is a great choice.
- Relaxation, massage and stress-management techniques like exercise or meditation are often recommended when stress is the trigger of bruxism.
- Medications like anti-inflammatories may be suggested to ease the pain of bruxism. Sometimes, muscle relaxers are prescribed to reduce the tension in the jaw muscles. In a similar vein, Botox injections can be used to temporarily weaken the jaw muscles and reduce teeth grinding.
WHY DO SOME PEOPLE DEVELOP BRUXISM?
Doctors suspect that a mix of physical, psychological and genetic factors may all be involved. Although bruxism’s exact trigger remains unclear, certain risk factors have been identified. For example, individuals who are hyperactive, people with Type A personalities, and those who are experiencing high levels of stress seem to be more likely to engage in grinding or clenching of the teeth. Over time, this behavior might spur the development of bruxism. Some medications and medical conditions can also increase a person’s risk of developing the issue. In addition, having relatives who struggle with the condition can raise an individual’s risk of battling bruxism. Fortunately, there are several treatments available to help those confronted with this condition.
CBD AS A BRUXISM OR TMJ TREATMENT
Teeth grinding and jaw clenching may seem like minor issues, but they can cause serious discomfort and dental destruction. Why suffer unnecessarily with headaches, earaches, jaw pain, and sensitive teeth when effective treatments are readily available? Research reveals that CBD is a viable treatment option for various kinds of pain relief.
If you believe bruxism may be at the root of your pain or insomnia, don’t tough it out. At Pro Teeth Guard, we take pride in helping people find relief from bruxism. Crafted from high-quality materials, our custom-fitted dental night guards deliver impressive comfort, effective protection and fantastic value.
Cbd oil topical for bruxism
Sorry. This IP address [188.8.131.52] has been blocked.
It looks like you were trying to reach this URL: https://doctorlaurenbecker.com/sys/handle404.asp?404;https://doctorlaurenbecker.com:443/p/dentist-New-York-NY-CBD-and-Dentistry-p33654.asp
The IP address being blocked is one that you are using where you are currently located. If you are in an office, coffee shop, or some other public location then this address may be used by multiple people and blocked based on activities of others in this location. VPN connections may also be more likely to be be blocked due to previous users of the IP. Additionally, an infection on your device may have triggered blacklisting of your IP.
Although it looks like your IP address might now be availble to be unblocked you can always check the state of your IP address by using the MXtoolbox website. MXtoolbox is a great website for a quick check of 80+ blacklisting services.
If you see that your IP is flagged by one of the blacklist services, you should contact the blacklist service provider and follow their steps to request the entry removal. This assumes that you have first scanned your device(s) and local network for malware and viruses to ensure that they are clean.
CBD Is Effective for Relaxing Jaw Muscles in TMJ
In the last year, Michigan, along with many other states in the US, instituted laws allowing people to use CBD oil without falling under the restrictions of the states medical marijuana code. CBD, cannabidiol, is one of the most common components of extract from marijuana plants, but it doesn’t have the same narcotic effects as some of the other extracts, most notably tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Although it doesn’t possess these narcotic effects, widespread adoption of CBD for medicinal purposes has expanded. But just how effective is CBD? In many cases, we don’t know. But we do know that it’s quite effective in at least one case, as a muscle relaxant for TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) patients.
Muscles Cause Most TMJ Pain
Finding good ways to treat TMJ-related muscle pain is important because most instances of TMJ-related pain in the jaw, face, neck, and elsewhere are related to sore muscles.
The problem in TMJ is often that the teeth, joints, and muscles aren’t in harmony. When the teeth come together, the jaw muscles are stressed, not relaxed. This makes the jaw muscles strain, trying to find a more relaxed position. The short-term result is sore muscles, but over time, the teeth and jaw joints can be damaged. Thus, relaxing the muscles not only controls short-term symptoms, but prevents long-term damage that is difficult to repair.
CBD Oil Effective on Tense Muscles
To test the muscle relaxant properties of CBD oil, researchers selected 60 patients who met the RDC/TMD (Research Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders). These patients were divided into two groups with comparable average age (23.2 years vs. 22.6 years). Group 1 received CBD oil formula for topical use. Group 2 received a placebo.
Researchers measured muscle tension before treatment and after 14 days of treatment, using electromyography. People also rated their pain intensity using a 10-point scale. The results showed that people responded better to the CBD application than the placebo. In Group 1, muscle tension reduced 11% on the left and 13% on the right, compared to 0.23% and 3.3%, respectively, for the placebo group.
Reduced muscle tension also led to reduced pain. In the treatment group, patients reported a 70% decrease in pain, compared to less than 10% for the placebo group.
Chemical and Drug-Free Relief
While there are some people who will welcome this news, many others won’t see much benefit here. After all, we already have many drug-based solutions to TMJ pain. There are medications, ranging from over-the-counter medications to opioids, and there are chemical treatments like botulinum tox in injections. These treatments are all effective to some degree, but they don’t address the root cause of the problem, and they call come with various side effects associated with introducing chemicals into your body.
However, we offer drug-free TMJ treatment. Our highly effective approach helps people who want to get relief from pain and other symptoms without taking medications or drugs. We also work to address the root cause of your problem. We start by finding the optimal relaxed position for your jaw, and give you an oral splint to hold your jaw in that position to reduce muscle tension and pain.
If you wish, we can even build your teeth up so they will do the job of holding your jaw in a relaxed position.
If you are interested in learning more about chemical and drug-free treatment of TMJ pain in the Detroit area, please call (248) 480-0085 today for an appointment with TMJ dentist Dr. Jeffrey S. Haddad at the Michigan Center for TMJ & Sleep Wellness in Rochester Hills.