How is CBD Oil Different For Pets Than Humans?
From the beginning of 2018, coffee shops to pharmacies, CBD products have successfully made their presence significant. Their usage has crept into nearly every facet of our daily lives. This market has lately tapped into and conquered some mega-corporations and shown its potential.
Traditionally, this product has not enjoyed a very noble reputation, but with its increasing uses and sales, all of that may be about to change.
CBD, in the past few years, has tremendously expanded its domain. It is not just limited to a particular age or purpose anymore. The market reach includes your pets as well.
CBD oil for humans and pets
Many items are made explicitly for humans and pets on the market, but the real question is, what is the difference between CBD for humans versus CBD for pets? Recent studies show that there is not much difference between the two.
Although, the companies usually add enticing flavors to the products for pets.
When it comes to the best CBD oil for dogs , you should go by the directions and give them what has been developed, especially for them. It has the perfect amount of CBD content and fits their consumption needs.
Benefits of CBD for pets
Pet owners have a lot to think about, and it is pretty hard to see your pet suffer and feel helpless at times. As per recent studies, CBD can be an effective solution to some of these problems. As we can see, Humans use it extensively to treat health problems. Veterinarians have recently discovered that CBD can be used on animals as well. Furthermore, it has remarkable advantages for pets.
- CBD helps reduce anxiety – If your pets are excessively active, exhibit destructive behavior, or barks a lot, it might be a sign of separation anxiety and is treatable. CBD will help your dog become calmer and less anxious.
- CBD can help reduce pain – CBD drugs can help with a variety of indignities, including inflammation and nerve-related pains, in addition to arthritis pain.
- CBD can also help with Appetite and Nausea- If you believe your pet is not eating adequately, CBD may be able to help. It is known to help pets with vomit and nausea as well.
When it comes to CBD products for pets, there can be much uncertainty, as there is so much information floating around online, and some of it may not even be verified. In recent years, professionals have researched how exactly it affects animals; now, we know that CBD interacts with their receptors located in the central and peripheral nervous system, giving them an overall relieving sensation in the body.
If you want to add CBD to your pet’s diet, there are a few things to bear in mind, and that would be to do proper research before any purchases. Check for any pet allergies, quality, and side effects of the product before consumption. Below are a few things to take into consideration-
- Buy organic – CBD oils usually contain pesticides or other such solvents that might be harmful to your pets in the longer run. It is advisable to look for organic oils because they only include organic ingredients.
- Reviews and analysis matter – It is critical that the CBD products contain little to no THC and that the manufacturer provides you with a manufacturing certificate from other research labs. Before making any purchase, the buyer should look for reviews by previous users, and only after careful and detailed evaluation should he/she buy the CBD product.
- Buy CBD oil – one can buy CBD dog treats, but as per studies, it has been established that the best form of CBD consumption by pets is oil. This way, the owner can also regulate your dog’s dose drop by drop.
Not all oils work in the same way; a few might have immediate effects, whereas others might not. The results might also vary from one dog to another, depending on various factors.
Best CBD oil for dogs
Nowadays, CBD for pets comes in many different forms, like treats, shampoo, oil, and even peanut butter. It can be challenging to distinguish between the quality of other brands and the best-suited one for your pet. Online buyer’s guides can make it a little easier for you by providing all the necessary information about how to and what to. Based on recent studies, below are a few of the best CBD oils for dogs –
- Cornbread hemp CBD oil – These not only taste better but are also nutritious and vegan flavored. The products do not have any fillers or preservatives. In addition to that, they also come with a tamper-proof seal.
- Honest paws CBD – This brand is entirely devoted to good quality CBD products for pets. They can benefit your pet in more than one way with minimal side effects. These products contain natural hemp resources with no fillers added.
- Medterra – All Medterra products are THC-free and very feasible. They come in many natural flavors like beef, bacon, etc., for pets and use Kentucky hemp.
Given the intricacies surrounding its effectiveness and protection, it is prudent to consult your veterinarian before purchasing. It will be wise and advised that you start with a small dose for your pets and carefully track the positive or negative effects of the CBD oil before gradually increasing the amount consumed.
As the stigma against the use of such products has started to fade, people are becoming more open to the idea of using CBD as a recreational product. While CBD may not be a miracle cure for such issues, it has undoubtedly shown promising results concerning relieving pain and anxiety in pets and humans. It can further improve sleep disorders and help with various ailments in the long term if taken adequately.
About the Author: Jessica Johnson is a pet lover and a skilled content writer with comprehensive experience of 5+ years in the CBD vertical. She is trying to apply her CBD knowledge to the wellness of pets. She has always been passionate about literature and progressively advanced towards CBD because of its emerging benefits and uses.
Yes, You Can Give Your Pets ‘Human’ CBD Oil
Can I give my pet human CBD oil? Any CBD oils that contain less than 0.3% THC is safe for your dog or cat. It doesn’t need to be a pet-specific oil to work.
We often get asked, “Is it safe to give ‘human’ CBD to my dog? What’s the difference between human and pet CBD oil?”
You know CBD is a natural option to help with anxiety, pain, and inflammation… for humans. The compound is non-addictive, non-toxic, and all-natural.
So, when your little friend started having health issues, and drugs didn’t help, you started wondering — ‘what if I give my pet some of the CBD oil I’ve been using?’
It sounds like a tough call, but we’ve got the answers. Let’s take a look at the veterinarian research on the safety of using CBD for pets and whether or not you can give your pet “human” CBD oil.
Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- Can I Give My Dog or Cat “Human” CBD Oil?
- Pet CBD Oil vs. Regular CBD Oil: What’s The Difference?
- What Kind of CBD Oil Can I Give My Pet?
- 1. Always Use THC-Free CBD Products
- Average Price Comparison of CBD Oils for Humans Vs. Pet Oils
- 1. CBD May Help Dogs With Osteoarthritis (OS)
- 2. CBD May Reduce Epileptic Seizures in Dogs
Can I Give My Dog or Cat “Human” CBD Oil?
The simple answer is yes — it’s safe to give your pet CBD meant for human consumption — with a few key caveats:
- Don’t give your pets any cannabis oil with more than 0.3% THC (0.2% in Europe)
- Use smaller doses than what’s recommended on the bottle
- Speak with your vet before giving your animal CBD if they have any underlying health concerns
All animals have an endocannabinoid system — including some of the most primitive animals like the sea-squirt. This means that animals also have cannabinoid receptors, a key part of the endocannabinoid system, just like humans do.
Although animals might process CBD in a different way (which is still under research), they have the necessary mechanisms to receive the benefits of CBD. Cannabidiol may be able to relieve pain, inflammation, and anxiety in animals, just like in humans.
But, there are some things you need to know before giving your pet CBD meant for human consumption.
Pet CBD Oil vs. Regular CBD Oil: What’s The Difference?
In essence, CBD is CBD. The extraction process for both animal and human CBD is the same — both types should be derived from clean, organic cannabis, and contain less than 0.3% THC (0.2% in Europe).
So, CBD products meant for humans is essentially the same thing as CBD oil for pets — with few minor differences in potency and flavor options.
What Kind of CBD Oil Can I Give My Pet?
Not all types of CBD oils are created equal. But, as long as you’re using THC-free, hemp-derived CBD isolate — you can give your pet the same CBD oil that you’re using.
1. Always Use THC-Free CBD Products
It’s common for pets to end up at the vet as a result of marijuana toxicosis after consuming the marijuana stash of their owners. On the other hand, pets with health issues such as arthritis, cancer, and other chronic conditions can use a controlled dose of medical cannabis to relieve symptoms.
Some studies show that THC has low toxicity in animals, while others report fatal cases of marijuana use in pets [1,2]. It all comes down to the individual dose.
The case for giving your pet CBD oil that contains THC is under investigation. Although your pet might benefit from some THC, you should avoid giving your pet marijuana oils with high levels of THC. You should stick to pure, THC-free CBD or hemp oil instead just to be safe.
CBD oil with less than 0.3 percent THC is widely considered safe — it won’t harm your pet.
But a high dose could cause side-effects in smaller animals. This could be an issue because of the unregulated CBD oil market — the levels of THC in a full-spectrum CBD oil for human consumption might be higher than officially claimed by the company.
Another issue is the terpenes present in both broad-spectrum and full-spectrum CBD oil for human consumption. Terpenes such as limonene, peppermint, pine, or tea tree, are essential oils found in a variety of plants — including marijuana and hemp — can be harmful to pets, even in small amounts.
Here are the three main types of CBD oil for human consumption you will encounter: